Monday, September 18, 2006

A phone call that solved a mystery - I think!!!

OK here is the short version of this mystery.

A couple of months ago I did some volunteer work on a Friday, lunch is usually included. And a nice lunch I might add. Lunch consisted of grilled shrimp on a bed of mixed greens, a vegetable,mini key lime cheesecake and iced tea. Someone was kind enough to bring me a plate while I was still working my shift. So I kinda ate on the fly. Food was lovely and the presentation was very pretty. Jump ahead to shift over get in the car drive home. Ate nothing more that evening other than having a glass of iced tea. Wasn't hungry and stomach felt just a bit quesy.

Now it is one a.m. and I am in the bathroom sick as a dog.I will skip the details, but this went on for three and a half hours. Husband was quite undone, needless to say. What made husband the most upset was I kept passing out. More about that later.

Now it is about four a.m. and I am totally wiped out and sleeping like a log. I know I should have gone to the emergency room right then. I didn't scolding please cause I got enough of that from my doctor on Monday.

Now it is Sunday, I am having my usual conversation with my sister I tell her the above in detail. I think she was shocked that I didn't go to the emergency room. But I felt better. And being the "know it all" I am we came to the conclusion that it was food poisoning probably from the shrimp. Sounds logical now doesn't it.

OK monday a.m. and I think ya know maybe I should call the doctors office and see what his nurse says. All she said was "get your butt in here now"!!! Well excuse me that scared me......god maybe I am having seizures or who knows what.

Here I am a couple of hours later with my doctor absolutely furious that I had not gone to the emergency room........hey that is behind me now so let's figure out why the good doctor says. He threw my sorry butt in the hospital. This is funny, the nurse put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me over to the hospital because doctor was afraid if left up to me I woudn't go. Well now I am a tad frightened. Maybe a brain annuerism......LOL And husband has got the look on his face like "what the hell is going on?", deer in the headlights look. Bless his heart!

They check me in and proceed, in the span of 23.5 hours, to administer a whole battery of tests. Brain, heart the works.

Results came back all OK!!! This was probably just one of those horrid food poisoning things that just happened. And the fainting that occured is usually
when not enough oxygen flows through your blood and into your brain. You lose consciousness, or "pass out," for a very brief time -- just a few seconds or minutes.
Sounds scary, especially when it happens seven times in the course of a few hours.

OK let's jump ahead to last week when there was a BIG scare for bagged spinach.I get a phone call from the person that is in charge of the docents where I volunteer. She tells me that I was not the only person that got sick on that meal, two other women did as well. And here is the mystery............the shrimp was served on a bed of mixed greens and spinach.

The woman that called knew I had been sick because I had phoned her after my bout of sickness just to make her aware, she thought as did the doctors, the shrimp served may have been bad. But I must add here that the shrimp never tasted bad. You KNOW when shrimp is bad. So I was always a bit suspicious of saying the shrimp was the cause. I thought it could have been the dressing on the greens. Who knew it could have been the greens.................stay tuna'd!!!

No comments: