Thursday, March 06, 2008

Parade Magazine

In the Sunday paper most of you get a supplement called Parade Magazine. Often it has mostly not necessarily meaty topics. However this morning I came upon the column of Marilyn Vos Savant where she invites readers to send her questions. I am not promoting her column whatsoever. I found this quite an interesting response and a cause to make me wonder. In your opinion, what is the best barometer of a country’s morality? The esteem in which society holds its elderly.

Do we revere our elderly... I wonder... and hold seniors in this country to our highest esteem? I know other countries and cultures do but I am quite hesitant to say the US does. As a side note there is a quite elderly gentleman running for President in this years election

If the answer to that question is true I think our barometer needs a bit of adjusting or tweaking

I heard someone the other day say that the elderly are a drain of the medical system. Are you kidding me!!!

Maybe the elderly in this country should demand more respect. What happened to Gray Power?!?!?!?!!! Just remember senior citizens VOTE!!! And no I am not referring to Mr Doodles and me. So stay tuna'd there be more on that subject


2 comments:

Bee said...

I fear you're right; I don't think we as a nation revere our elderly. Everything today is aimed at the young (and beautiful, I might add.) If you're not in the demographic, you just don't count.

Bee said...

Me again, but I had to share this quote I just came acrss. Pearl S. Buck said:

Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members.