Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Something tasty for you



I don't often put recipes on this blog.  Sister, niece and I have a food blog.  Or actually had a food blog as our lives have become so busy food blogging is not at the top of our list.

Having said that I am posting one of the most delicious crust less quiches I have ever made and or eaten.

This is how it started with this recipe I found while poking around.  That's how I find all these marvelous recipes.  It's almost like an adventure.  And like some adventures you can make a wrong turn.  But not with this recipe.  Find it here

Give a huge shout out to Beth over at Budget Bytes for this recipe.  First time I made this I made it exactly like her recipe.  This week, now that asparagus is everywhere you look I thought hmmmmm.  And I'll add some mushrooms.  I'll use cheddar and jack cheese.  And a small amount of cream cheese.  Here's my method.  And I'll tell you right now this was so good husband said "can we have this again soon".

First of all I used a small, non-stick quiche pan that I liberally sprayed with cooking oil.


  • Sauteed  a package of mushrooms until they were nicely browned and just toward the end I add a small pat of butter.
  • Asparagus up next.  I think I used about a dozen spears.  Trimmed the ends and cut into one inch pieces. Saute till almost cooked as the aspargus will continue cooking in the egg mixture
  • Next up the eggs.  I used four eggs I wisked untill well mixed with 3/4 cup of  whole milk.  I also added a few splashes of Frank's Hot Sauce just to give it an extra kick.  
  • Three quarter cup of shredded cheese of your choice.  With this mixture I used extra sharp cheddar and jack.
  • Now assemble.  Spread the mushrooms on the bottom of your dish.  On top of that put the asparagus.  Next put a few spoonfuls of cream cheese just a few dollops here and there.  Don't worry it will melt into the egg mixture.  
  • Combine the cheeses you are using with the egg mixture.  Then gently pour that on top of the veggies.  Make sure the shredded cheese is spread evenly.
  • Place the pan on a cookie sheet and put in a 375* oven after fifteen minutes turn down to 350* and cook till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  about 50 minutes total.  Now please remember all oven are different and cook differently.
I served this with a tomato, finely chopped cilantro and avacado salad  with a lime vinegarette.